Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Roger Reeves


Brazil


I will begin with braces


strung across a man's teeth


like a downed kite might


string itself across four lanes


of a seven lane highway


and bid a barefooted child


to wade into evening traffic


and slip. I will not focus


on the wasp at the window,


the cat's white hair stretching


along this orange peel,


or even the train's green breath,


its asthmatic clack


upon these arthritic tracks


that turn every head


into a cautious metronome. No,


I will not focus upon the spine


of the men walking these rails,


yelling cerveja, coca-cola, agua,


these men who bear no resemblance


to ghosts but even as they pass


disappear into motes


of dust most of us are too busy


to notice falling


inside a sleeping child's mouth.


I will focus all of my attention,


now, on the man with braces,


asking me if I am a member of the C.I.A.


Have I come to infiltrate


the Black movement.


This man who I have peeled


two oranges for


since this train left Rio de Janeiro


and, because his hands were full,


placed each quartered wedge


in his mouth. What are you here for?


The children waiting for bottles


of water to be thrown from each car.


The bee above his head, the kites


drifting from the hills, the white puffs


of cloth, slew-footed, wading into the sky


like a wasp drunk on insecticide.


Those are suicide notes, he says, the kites.


Soon there will be gunfire,


drugs, and dead children head to foot


along the paved and unpaved roads


leading in and out of this favela.


Do you have this in America?

This, meaning kites. This, meaning


children. This, meaning winter rain


unable to flow into the gutters


because of bodies lining the streets.


I think to tell him of Katrina,


but I say nothing of water-


melon vines growing around the dark


and dead, an un-hoed road


of children my uncle has left


in graves from North Carolina to New Jersey,


the bomb, M.O.V.E., the symphony


hall of atrocities in which every seat is full,


but is this the meaning of Diaspora?


I come with the dead tucked in-


to my duffle, my genocides


folded into my wallet and you


come with yours and we shout


across the chasm of this train car


comparing whose dead sings louder


or more often or now.


Is this Africa: a split trench


and a split lip, a photograph


of a police chief smoking a cigar


as the ear of a dead child catches his ash.


Why isn't my hand


dropping these slices of orange


onto your tongue, Diaspora?


Why have I come to Brazil, Brother?


To infiltrate the Black movement.



Source: Bucknell

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Followers