Monday, September 2, 2013

Scholarship program will send three students to Germany


All three UMKC 2012 applicants to the prestigious German Academic Exchange Service scholarship program have received awards for study in Germany. The program is also known as DAAD, short for Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst. The recipients are graduate student Kevin Baker, junior Elliott Goff and senior Courtney Neaveill.


Baker's award is a one-month grant for research on the master's thesis he is preparing about everyday German life experiences during World War I. Linna Place in the International Academic Programs office first introduced Baker to the DAAD.


"I am extremely excited about receiving my scholarship and am grateful that the DAAD is able to fund my research trip," Baker said. "I will be in Freiburg for three weeks, which is in the southwest part of Germany near Stuttgart. From what I've heard, it is one of the most beautiful regions in Germany and Europe."


To apply for the award, Baker had to submit a grant proposal. When he returns, he will have to present a detailed report of his findings and where he obtained his research. His main source will be military archives containing personal papers from German soldiers stationed on the Eastern Front.


"When I get back, I will use some of my research for my master's thesis, and save what I do not use for future research endeavors," Baker said.


Baker, who plans to become a college professor, said one can never have too much research experience.


Goff, an engineering major, considers this experience more of an internship than a study abroad experience. He is focused on the work experience rather than the credit transfers.


Goff's award is a 2,000 euro stipend to help with housing and food for a 12-week stay in Germany. It also includes a two-week German language course in Munich.


Goff will be investigating the effects of aging on bone cells at the Julius Wolff institute at the Charite hospital, the largest university hospital in Europe.


"I would very much like a career in bio-medical engineering," Goff said. "I began as a mechanical engineering major, as it is the broadest form of engineering and it looks like I will finish as one. Although this is not ideal, much of bio-medical engineering involves mechanical engineering so I am still very eligible for graduate programs which I will be looking into upon my return."


Also upon his return, Goff would like to sit and eat a home-cooked meal with his family.


Neaveill knew when she came to UMKC that she wanted to go to Germany, for work or her master's degree.


"I really like the work-hard, play-hard lifestyle that many Germans employ," Neaveill said. "The idea that in order to be successful at work you have to spend time with friends, socializing or relaxing. That lends to a balanced way of living that I really admire."


Neaveill's award, a Graduate Study Scholarship, provides 10 months of monetary help for travel, a monthly stipend and health insurance. Since most German universities do not charge tuition, the stipend goes toward general living expenses.


During her two years at the Freie Universitaet in Berlin, Neaveill will research the way in which the history of everyday life can be incorporated into public history.


"For me personally, the DAAD scholarship reaffirms that I am on the right path and it gives me an extra boost of confidence to follow through with my goals," she said. "I guess the question right now is whether I will come back at all. Ultimately, it would be great if I could find a job in Berlin after I complete my degree."


Neaveill has not eliminated the possibility of pursuing a doctorate, in which case she would return to the U.S.


"In the future, I would really like to pursue a career that involves researching, discussing and educating people about history," she said.


mheiman@unews.com




Source: Umkc

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Followers